Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tancredo's Gotta Go

If you haven't already seen his odious new TV ad, enjoy. Perhaps just as startling is his admission that his run for the White House is little more than a waste of everyone's time:

Asked if this is an act of "desperation": "Never, ever did I expect to be a top-tier candidate. Certainly at this point in time. Never. I am not surprised by this. And it's certainly -- it is nothing new. All I'm saying to you is this: I believe my candidacy, at 1 percent or 2 percent, I believe my candidacy has forced the issue of immigration to the top tier of debate topics. I will tell you that. And now I'm trying to force it to the next level, to the really important part of this debate. And you know what? Whether it gets me 1 percent or no percent, it doesn't matter. Is the issue something we as presidential candidates, we as a nation, should be confronting? I certainly believe that's true. And I don't care whether this runs my numbers up or down."

(emphasis added)

That's a wonderful thing to tell yourself, but immigration is not something a single candidate needed to force on the rest of the field. Let's face it: this is a Hail Mary, from an awful candidate, running an awful campaign, whose solution to his signature issue has been nothing but sheer unapologetic xenophobic bigotry.

MORE: Andrew Sullivan thinks we can expect to see more of this kind of thing from Giuliani if he wins the GOP nomination. Can't say I disagree with him.

No comments: