Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dad29 Discovers Comparative Literature

No Shit.

Pretty much every heroic journey story told in the Western tradition in some way, shape or form is influenced by Homer.

Here's another shocker that will blow Dad29's mind: Twain was also influenced by the Book of Exodus (Get it? Odyssey ... Exodus ... both journeys from one point to another ... ) -- Huck Finn being a kind of American Moses: taking a trip down a river (wasn't Moses found drifting down the river as an infant? and isn't Cairo both a city in Illinois and Egypt?) to free a slave(s) ...

Tune in next week as Dad29 wrestles with what James Joyce's 'Ulysses' was based on.

5 comments:

illusory tenant said...

'Dad29 Discovers Comparative Literature'

Or, 'Oh Dad29, Where Art Thou?'

Dad29 said...

"Oshkosh' Best Blogger", eh?

My, my.

Cindy K. said...

I sure find I'm reading here more than expected. But then, Dad29, you and I have rarely seen eye to eye.

Other Side said...

I'm sure you're devastated that dad29 disapproved.

Jb said...

That's all you got, Dad29: "My, my."?

Tisk. Tisk.