Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Have a Very Hitchens Christmas


Hitch tees-off thusly:
I had never before been a special fan of that great comedian Phyllis Diller, but she utterly won my heart this week by sending me an envelope that, when opened, contained a torn-off square of brown-bag paper of the kind suitable for latrine duty in an ill-run correctional facility. Duly unfurled, it carried a handwritten salutation reading as follows:

Money's scarce
Times are hard
Here's your f******
Xmas card

I could not possibly improve on the sentiment, but I don't think it ought to depend on the current austerities. Isn't Christmas a moral and aesthetic nightmare whether or not the days are prosperous?

And proceeds down the fairway in vintage Hitchens manner.

1 comment:

Kevin D. Johnson said...

Yeah...typical for Hitchens. But not exactly his greatest work. Here's my two cents on it:

http://www.prophezei.com/?p=525