Saturday, January 9, 2010

Contrarianism Fail

If you want a good laugh, check Sean Hackbarth's absurd attempt at music criticism, which can be summarized as follows:
Skid Row was, like, totally better than Nirvana.
It's a bold statement that Hackbarth does nothing to justify. My favorite part is when he blames "supposedly smart people" -- i.e. fags who have discerning taste -- for the over-exaltation of the seminal Seattle band ... 'cause real 'Mericans prefer the lyrical styling of Sebastian Bach, or something.

Thank God this lousy argument has already been made.

3 comments:

Grant said...

I once told a Vince Neil acolyte that his music was "zit cream for the soul." He thanked me 10 years later.

Rob said...

Well I was willing to hear the man out -- I am still working on my own "Hootie & the Blowfish > The Strokes" magnum opus, so who am I to judge?

But that is, uh, not good criticism. I think it's funny that his definition of "inconsistency" in an album is one that has some fast songs and some slower songs.

Jb said...

Agreed. And what's a "sonic riff" anyway? That's like saying something's a "noise sound."